ReClaim It! Store Manager
ReClaim It! is a retail store at 1 N. Killingsworth, managed by Cracked Pots, Inc., a non-profit environmental arts organization devoted to waste reduction. The store sells objects and materials rescued from the waste stream, in order to inspire people to reuse and reimagine them. Given the nature of the materials, the candidate should have the ability to work in an environment where there is dirt, dust, and mold.
The Store Manager will manage ReClaim It! Store operations, including cleaning and storing, materials, planning, organizing and managing display and sale of materials. This position requires self-motivation, initiative, problem solving and creativity. The ideal candidate will have verifiable retail and, strong communication and organizational skills, good attention to detail, computer fluency, a flexible helpful personality, and a commitment to natural resource conservation. The position is at-will and subject to the provisions of the CP Employee Handbook.
Pay: $15 per hour
Hours: 20 or 40 hours per week (open to full or part time) primarily during store retail hours (W-Su 10-5) not to exceed 2080 hours in a calendar year or $31,200
Benefits: No medical or vacation benefits other than statutory unpaid protected sick leave.
APPLICATIONS DUE BY MAY 11th (We will start scheduling interviews in early May - Apply Early!) - Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Position begins: Mid June 2018
Position Description: The Store Manager is expected to be onsite during assigned hours. Given the nature of the materials, the candidate should have the ability to work in an environment where there is dirt, dust, and mold.
Duties of Store Manager: At the direction of their supervisor, the Operations Manager, the Employee shall organize and manage all aspects of the ReClaim It! store, including:
- Train new store volunteers to carry out their specific/defined roles and responsibilities
- Supervise and provide direction to the Clerk/Cashier ensuring their proficiency in the use of Square, and their customer service skills
- Work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator to schedule sufficient store coverage from Clerk/Cashier and volunteers to ensure essential tasks are covered
- Provide guidance and direction to store volunteers
- Ensure that staff and volunteers are delivering a consistent message to customers to educate them about ReClaim It!’s purpose
- Oversee the cleaning, pricing and organizing of incoming merchandise, utilizing volunteer assistance
- Provide training in cashiering and pricing methods to volunteers
- Ensure that established pricing and cashiering policies and procedures are carried out by staff and volunteers
- Create and maintain attractive retail displays for store merchandise
- In coordination with the Volunteer Coordinator, identify sales trends and demand for specific items
- Determine when to hold store sales and promotions
- In conjunction with marketing committee, assist in determining the on-going marketing strategy for the store and specific events in the store
- Establish or update store procedures when requested or needed.
- Maintain on a daily basis, current records for all store financial transactions, reconciling Square till on daily basis
- In conjunction with Volunteer Coordinator, ensure safe working conditions and practices within the store environment
- Staff occasional outside events, such as street fairs, CP art shows
- Schedule garbage and recycling pickup as needed
- Provide for and facilitate a clean store environment including managing waste removal, recycling, proper tool storage, and ensuring supplies are available and bathrooms are cleaned.
Manage written communication, including:
- Check email, phone messages and texts and respond to questions and requests for information on a daily basis
- Keep supervisor and appropriate board committees apprised of store activities and issues
- Work with the Marketing Committee and Communications Coordinator, to ensure an updated website, blog and Facebook page with bi-weekly postings
- In conjunction with the Operations Manager, establish a schedule for posting notice of materials on Facebook, Instagram, Craig’s List and other media
- Coordinate with Marketing Committee and Communications Coordinator on publicity and outreach for ReClaim It! events and activities
- Maintain an archive of ReClaim It! policies and procedures
- Keep a detailed timesheet and providing monthly activity report to Operations Manager
- Attend ReClaim It! Committee meetings
- Perform other duties requested by the Board to support and enhance CP programs
It is the intent of Employer that both Employee and Employer commit to open communication and clear task assignments. Employee will report directly to the Operations Manager. The above-mentioned duties (or other tasks determined by the Board) will be assigned to Employee by the Operations Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least two years of verifiable experience managing a retail environment
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Experience training, directing, and working with volunteers
- Experience in retail merchandise display
- Knowledge of, or experience with, second hand/thrift store pricing
- Experience in retail pricing strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated Volunteer/ Employee Management skills
- Demonstrated skills with computer programs such as, but not limited to: Word, Excel, and Square, Facebook, Pinterest, and other social media
- Attention to detail and organization
- Ability to track several projects at a given time
- Ability to think independently and problem-solve when needed
- Commitment to being patient and courteous with the public and volunteers
- Demonstrated commitment to recycling and reuse.
- Familiarity with CP and its mission
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds on an ongoing basis
- Capability and willingness to work in an environment that includes dirt, dust and mold